Update 3.3.16

Hey everyone!

Happy March! One of my favorite holidays is this month, so I'm amping up for it. I am also excited for the weather to get warmer here in Germany, even though snow is on the forecast this weekend.

Nate is currently in Alabama. I know he is excited to see some of our friends who live out that way and meet the brand new Wade! He will be in Alabama until close to the beginning/middle of April, depending on if he can finish more training. If you want to reach him, take advantage of being in the same(ish) time zone.

Big news for us! We bought an Audi Q3, and she's a beaut! Just have a look for yourself.


An awkward photo of me with the guy who sold us the car
In her new home! 
I have less than a week left in my first intensive German course. I go to the vocational school in downtown Kaiserslautern from 1PM-5PM Monday-Friday. I am the only American in my class. I made friends with an Italian girl, but I also have class with people from India, Romania, Bulgaria, Iran, Canada, Portugal and Kenya. In general, most language students at my school are from Syria. There are some very interesting signs posted around the school, that you wouldn't think needed explaining. For example, there is a second sign posted on the door to the women's restroom that says "absolutely no men allowed" in arabic and kurdish.

I am settling in well. I have even figured out the ridiculous recycling rules of Germany, and when to put out each trash receptacle. Glass goes in the neighborhood bins down the street, paper goes in one bin, plastic goes in one, food waste goes in one, and then finally we have residual waste. In addition, you can take items with "Pfand" back to the store to a machine to receive the pfand back (8-25 cents). Also, some trash only gets picked up once a month! One of the things that really peaves Nate is that there are also peddlers/needy people who will go through your plastic to see if there are any Pfand items in it. Our first pick-up, they tore through our bag and there was trash scattered all over the street. I can honestly say I have never cleaned off plastic containers, but it's now a regular thing. 

I'll be around all weekend, so give me a ring if you want to catch up! We miss all of you so much! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Road-Trip Part 1: The Long Way Down (in France)

Nürnberg: Volksfest & The German National Museum

A Week in Vilnius, Lithuania