Barcelona

This post has been in my drafts for over a month now, but I am finally getting to post because the wedding is OVER! Towards the end of April, Nate and I went to Barcelona on a long weekend. For Christmas, Nate had gotten me tickets to see Florence and the Machine. So, after class on a Friday, we took the train to Frankfurt and caught our flight there. We flew Vueling, so it was a cheap getaway in terms of travel. 

Once we got in to Barcelona, we had a little trouble figuring out the best way to get to the hotel. We decided on the bus, and then walked from our exit. By this time, it was very late and we were ready to fall asleep. We finally reached Hotel Market in the Eixample district. It was very nice, and we would consider staying there again. On previous visits, I stayed in the Gracia district and down by Barceloneta. Next time, we'll probably try another district, until we really find our favorite. 

Once we were up and going, we found a bakery and got two cafes con leche, which we had been missing since our trip to Málaga in January. We also got tiny chocolate croissants and started our walking tour of Barcelona. I knew I wanted to go to the giant food market off La Rambla, which is called "La Boqueria." My words couldn't do it justice, but I knew we were right to come here when I saw Nate's face upon entering. 


Bacalao = salted cod. This is a famous dish in Spain, and especially in Andalucia, where it is typically served fried. In Valencia, I had a bacalao tartar and it was outstanding. It is also served in ceviche and a variety of other ways. 

Next, I finally got an oyster. These were enormous. This one was almost the size of my hand. 

~pure joy~




Moving on from the seafood, we found more goodies. Most stands are clustered. You will see fruit stands with fresh zumos (juices). Then you will see the butchers, with their rabbits, ducks, chicken, and most importantly the ham. Many vendors sell just different types of jamon. Also clustered within the stalls are tiny tapas bars, where you can sit and have delicious tapas and a beer. There are so many stalls to see, and not enough time in the day or room in the stomach. I could spend a month here, and make my way to the market for every meal that they are open. 


Jamon serrano in a cone - perfect for on-the-go


Next, we followed La Rambla towards the ocean. Around this time, my feet were really getting the best of me, so I ducked in to a "chino" and bought the cheapest pair of knock-off Toms I could see. I have never had such bad blisters in my adult life. Wear comfortable shoes!!! 



Monumento a Colón ~ Monument to Christopher C




"BAR LEO" - we got a laugh out of this one. 
Barceloneta 

Me with my knock-off TOMS


Arc de Triomphe ~ Barcelona

Many sights to see at the beach...

Even Nate's feet started to kill him

Local artwork on a bar in Barcelona
After a long day of touring, we took a tiny siesta and got ready for the concert. On Friday night, after getting in very late and starving, we stumbled upon a place called Bar Ramon on the corner and we had one of the best meals of our lives. We got pan de tomate (Nate's favorite), some clams, and some goat. The food was amazing, and the wine was cheap. Unfortunately, it wasn't open the rest of the time we were there. So, we chose another place and sad down for another wonderful meal before the concert.

Pre-concert drinks
Pan de Tomate, Alcochofas Fritas, y Calamares Fritos ~ Bread with olive oil and tomato puree, fried artichokes, and fried calamari 

FLORENCE!!!


We had the best time at the concert, and continued to listed to music and drink our beers on the steps after the concert. I believe I might have been the biggest fan there. It was a wonderful concert, and I would love to see her again. The tickets weren't very expensive and we had some of the best seats in the house. So, we didn't grumble too much when the beers were 12 euro a piece. Word to the wise: in Europe, there aren't typically opening bands. We showed up a little late, thinking we would be fine, but she was already a quarter of the way into the set. So, if the concert starts at 8:00, be there by 8:00. 

The next day, we had pre-bought our tickets for Sagrada Familia. I had never been, so we made sure we would be able to get it. There was a street festival going on and some performances, but once we made our way to the entrance, we walked right in. Easy! Also, the metro stop dumped us out right in front, so we could save our aching feet. Sagrada Familia was breathtaking. The pictures do not do it justice in the least. We vowed to come back when it is finally finished. 



Performance going on right outside the Sagrada Familia 







It was a wonderful trip, and we can't wait to return. We love Spain so much, and we are so lucky that we are able to visit whenever we have a long weekend. Barcelona is in my top ten list of favorite cities. Up next, I'll start the wedding road-trip posts. And I have another project in the works, so stay tuned for that. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Road-Trip Part 1: The Long Way Down (in France)

Nürnberg: Volksfest & The German National Museum

A Week in Vilnius, Lithuania