Paris & Disneyland

My Birthday!

This post is really late (circa November 2016), and I have been so busy traveling, working, and going to school. 2017 has been wonderful so far this year, and it is so great to look back on times like this. 

Birthdays are a big deal to me, and I was really excited to spend mine with Nate this year. Nate knows how much I love my birthday, and he went above and beyond my expectations this year. I have had the largest Mexican food withdrawals while living in Germany. Nate made me margaritas and picked up a Mexican feast, complete with decorations (including little Mickey hats). 


Leaving for Paris 

Paris is such an easy trip from our house. We packed our backpacks, walked 7 minutes to the train station, and got on our ICE train to Paris (Gare de L'Est station). It's a 2.5 hour-long ride, where you can sleep, relax, have a beer, etc. I seriously love riding on trains. 

Once we arrived in Paris, we took a metro ride towards our hotel and checked in at the Hotel Saint Jacques in the Latin Quarter. Because I'm a "genius" with Booking.com, we were able to get a free welcome drink upon arrival.

Santé!

Exploring Paris 

This was my second trip to Paris and Nate's first. I hadn't been in a decade, but I remember the area I explored the last time with family and opted to stay in the Latin Quarter. It is by far my favorite area of Paris so far. There are tons of bars and bistros to explore. 



A 'must-see' -- Shakespeare & Co. is an English-language bookstore, which used to be a haunt of Ernest Hemmingway, James Joyce, and Ezra Pound. We waited in line roughly ten minutes to go inside and it was worth it. The books were overpriced, so I didn't buy anything, but it was great to see the collection inside. 
Waiting for our reservation at the bar next door


This is a horrible picture, but it was the only one I could take before entering the Moulin Rouge. There were some interesting parts, but overall I think it was a complete rip-off. We went to the second-to-last show of the night and the place was filthy. The show was not all that great and the prices were absolutely ridiculous. I've heard there are better shows in Paris, but I will never be back to the Moulin Rouge. 









Paris Christmas Market

 The Paris Christmas Market (Marché de Noël) is really impressive. The Market is divided into different villages along the Champs-Elyseés with LOTS of options for hot drinks, nosh, and trinkets. My favorite village was the gourmet food/drink village called the Village Gourmand. Tucked away, you can find champagne, oysters, escargot,  and SO MUCH cheese. <daydreaming>
Hungarian food stall--delish!


Drinking Christmas Beer


All cheese! The bottom is lined with potatoes, and it is surely the most decadent thing we tried. 

Disneyland Paris 

 I am one of those unique adults that has an affinity for Disney. I got it from my momma (so they say). Disneyland Paris is honestly a sad excuse for a Disney amusement park when compared to Disneyworld in Orlando, but it can still be fun. This was Nate's first Disney experience with me, and I think he had a fun time.

They put up the Christmas decorations the day we arrived.




Lunch at one of the only restaurants open this time of year--Hakuna Matata. It was surprisingly good and affordable for Disney food. 






We took the back exit of the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by King Louie. 



Climbing all around the Swiss Robinson Treehouse -- one of Nate's favorites










Thunder Mountain was closed for refurbishment -- like many others this time of year, preparing for 2017 (Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary). 









There was also a small Christmas Market at the 'Downtown Disney' area of Disneyland Paris. This area is seriously very small, but it is a great little shopping area. There were stands with sweets and Vin Chaud. 





Menu at 'Billy Bob's Country Western Saloon'

Not great, not terrible. 


We are not wanting to wait any longer for this ride and the queuing system was not ideal. 





We rode three times without waiting a minute.









We stayed for the Christmas Tree Lighting. Mickey and Minney led Christmas Carols and then lit the tree. It sparkled and then they released fake snow onto us. It was magical. 


Final Thoughts 

The trip was lots of fun, and I am so thankful to Nate for allowing us to go to Disneyland and Paris. We did stay at the Vienna Dream House Castle Hotel, and it was probably the worst experience I have had at a hotel. Aside from the bus (which was great), the pool was closed, the elevator was broken, and the power went out for five hours while we were there. Seriously, don't stay there if you take a trip to Disneyland Paris. Nate adores Paris, and we have returned once since this trip and will most likely return again in 2017 at some point. It's too easy not to! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Road-Trip Part 1: The Long Way Down (in France)

A Week in Vilnius, Lithuania

Nürnberg: Volksfest & The German National Museum